I've been pretty in to Guild Wars 2 the last few months. As a result, I've neglected a stalled arduino project - the wireless version of the snail mail notifier. The little TP-703N wireless routers I received back in July have more or less been sitting around waiting for me to finish configuring them. I'll be the first to admit I really dont enjoy networking, so I've been dragging my feet.

In the morning I decided it was time to get things moving. First off would be using router #1 to act as a repeater so that we can get wireless out on the deck and the far end of the kitchen.

By 10am I'd managed to brick it. The device no longer boots up and cannot be pinged.

So I took a break for a few hours, had an awesome lunch with Lori, then came back and got cracking on the second router. The goal with this one was to create a wireless client. This would allow devices like the arduino to plug into the ethernet port and connect to the network wirelessly.

Of course the first thing I had to do was start from scratch - which meant wiping it and reloading everything. That took awhile.

Then I spent several hours trying to configure the device through the web (with LUCI).

Finally I gave up and decided I needed to edit files manually from the command line. Not my favorite thing and I certainly don't use VI editor in Linux enough to remember all the commands.

I did have some help from a very extensive Instructable (you have to actually download all of the text file tutorials) and finally success!

I see a wireless snail mail notifier in the future!


Post a Comment